The history of the place depicts the structural Evolution of the Byzantine architecture through its different phases. The earlier church was a three aisled Basilica type building, built in the late 13th century.
At the end of the 16th century, it was established as the Metropolitan temple of Thessaloniki, while it was destroyed in 1890 A.D. after a huge fire.
Apart from the considerable byzantine influences which can be easily detected, there are certain neo – classical elements, something quite reasonable, as the latest re-building efforts took place soon after the destruction.
One of the most beautiful temples of Thessaloniki
The building is based on the byzantine octagonal type while the main temple has a cross – shaped form, similar to many other Orthodox churches. The dominant byzantine legacy and beauty is still obvious in this important religious site.
Inside the temple you will be able to view the relics of Saint Gregory Palamas in whose honor the church was built. He lived in Thessaloniki from 1325 to 1359 A.D.
City: Thessaloniki (City Center)
Address: Vogatsikou St. 7, 54622
Telephone: 2310 261 216, 2310 227 677
Celebration: November 14