The temple of Panagia Chalkeon is located in the heart of the historical center, southwest of the Roman Forum and North of Egnatia Street.
Built in 1028 A.D. as mentioned to the founder’s inscription over the west entrance, it has a typical “cross in square form” having four main columns and three domes, something common to several other religious buildings constructed during the “Macedonian” period of the byzantine architecture.
Impressive wall paintings and architecture
The interior is full of beautiful frescoes. Some of them are dated back to the 11th century A.D, while there are modern ones as well. During the Ottoman occupation period it was converted into a mosque along with other important temples of Thessaloniki.
It is possible that an ancient Greek temple existed in the same place, possibly devoted to Hephaestus due to the fact that this area was traditionally inhabited by the city’s copper-smiths. In fact, the name of the church itself is translated as "The Virgin of the Copper-smiths".
City: Thessaloniki (City Center - Aristotelous Plaza)
Address: Halkeon 2, 54624
Telephone: 2310 272 910
Celebration: August 15
Rules: No shorts or sleeveless shirts